Q. A few employees have complained that we use their Social Security numbers (SSNs) as their ID numbers. They’re concerned about identity theft. Is it legal to use Social Security numbers for ID purposes?
A. In Pennsylvania, it is not illegal for employers to use employee SSNs as ID numbers, provided the employer does not publicly share the Social Security numbers.
Employers should not print employee SSNs on materials that are mailed or require employees to enter their SSNs to access an Internet site.
The Federal Trade Commission has published materials to assist victims of identity theft on its website at www.ftc.gov.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Taming the paper tiger: What to keepâ€”and for how long
- Handle terminations with dignity, due deliberation
- Include federal jury service protection in your employee handbook and policies
- CVS fined for child labor, overtime and timecard violations