A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 'Equal-opportunity harasser' defense may not save you in court
- Go ahead and trim the tree--while keeping your party liability-free
- Show fairness by documenting all rule violations, discipline
- Settlement soon? EEOC rules Wet Seal discriminated