A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- Beware influence of biased supervisor when making termination decisions
- Put limits on supervisors' 'power-differentiated' relationships
- Sure, the Galleria is swanky, but is it worth a lawsuit?
- Creating an effective blog policy to limit employer liability
- Dress, grooming policies should serve bona fide business need