A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- Litigious worker criticizes company? You may be able to fire
- Retaliation rule: Would 'reasonable employee' have been dissuaded from complaining?
- You can land in trouble for trying to stop harassment
- Retaliation after 4 years have gone by? Yes, in some cases
- Do you destroy hiring documents? Track process anyway