A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Pigeonholing employees' race can be tricky … and risky
- Requests for accommodation must be reasonable
- Don't let rogue supervisor destroy your solid training and promotion program
- Practical jokes unrelated to protected status can't be grounds for lawsuit