A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- A few brief incidents can create 'pervasive' harassment
- Immunize hiring processes against bias suits
- N.Y. court refuses to apply Ledbetter Act to pay disparities because of missed promotions
- Class-Action status granted for disgruntled immigrant workers