A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- Employ teens? Child-Labor fines, enforcement on the rise
- Height and weight bias: A growing protected status?
- Fairness, careful documentation are key to discipline process that will stand up in court
- Cuomo proposes hotline for Albany harassment complaints
- Cal State Fresno settles coach's bias claim for $5.2 million