A 55-year-old estimator who was laid off after 34 years with Lucent Technologies, based in Murray Hill, won a significant settlement in a textbook age-discrimination case.
The estimator had a long history of good reviews, including one just before he was let go in which his work was rated as “outstanding.” Younger workers with lower ratings were kept on.
Age-discrimination suits are hot. Make sure managers don't factor age into employment decisions.
- Employee performance not up to snuff? You must communicate your concerns
- Professional Building Systems settles racial harassment case
- Treating some minorities well doesn't excuse bias against others
- Accommodate disabled workers, but don't accept mediocre job performance
- Harassment: Your response makes all the difference