• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Slam the brakes on gift tax liability

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q. I’m giving my granddaughter my Toyota Camry valued at $17,000. Can my wife join in the gift to avoid gift tax? J.A., Bristol, Conn.

A. Yes. Normally, the annual gift tax exclusion for 2011 is $13,000 per recipient. However, a married couple can jointly give gifts to a recipient valued up to $26,000 without paying any gift tax. If gifted property is legally owned by just one spouse, the spouse who doesn’t own any interest in the property can elect to “split” the gift by making an election on a federal gift tax return. Then the gift is treated as being made equally by both spouses.

Tip: You will have to file Form 706, United States Estate (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, for 2011.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/28962/slam-the-brakes-on-gift-tax-liability "

{ 1 comment… read it below or add one }

pjames December 26, 2011 at 11:00 am

Husband and wife each have to fill out Form 709, not Form 706. 706 is for estate tax, 709 is for gift tax.


Leave a Comment