This was not the year to get sloppy with your I-9 forms. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) issued a record 2,393 audit notices to inspect employers’ I-9s this year, a more than 375% increase from employers audited in 2008.
Also, ICE last year arrested and criminally prosecuted 196 owners, execs and HR managers for alleged work site immigration violations, surpassing the previous high of 135 in 2008.
Read about the increased enforcement at www.theHRSpecialist.com/ICE.
- Test yourself: Understanding the gray areas of retaliation
- Are there special requirements for training employees who do not speak English well?
- Employees filed job-discrimination complaints with EEOC in near-record numbers last year
- Fired after injury, star worker sues Delta under ADA
- Vague gripes about bosses aren't protected