This was not the year to get sloppy with your I-9 forms. The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) issued a record 2,393 audit notices to inspect employers’ I-9s this year, a more than 375% increase from employers audited in 2008.
Also, ICE last year arrested and criminally prosecuted 196 owners, execs and HR managers for alleged work site immigration violations, surpassing the previous high of 135 in 2008.
Read about the increased enforcement at www.theHRSpecialist.com/ICE.
- How much flexibility do we have to set up alternative workweek schedules?
- Drawing the line on tardiness: the legal risks
- Don't let manual become a contract—Make sure employees sign 'At-Will' notice
- Good records make it easy to justify discipline
- E is for Evidence: The HR Risks of Smoking-Gun Employee Emails