guru John Maxwell has put his finger on yet another truth: You should never suppress candor in the interest of caring about your employees.
Before having a candid conversation, make sure you can answer yes to these:
- Have I invested enough in the relationship to be candid?
- Do I truly value this employee?
- Is it their issue and not mine?
- Am I sure I don’t feel threatened?
- Is it more important than our relationship?
- Does it help the employee, not me?
- Am I willing to invest energy to help this person learn and change?
- Am I ready to set clear, expectations?
The main idea here: It’s not about you.
— Adapted from 5 Levels of Leadership, John C. Maxwell, Center Street.