TheSecurity Administration (EBSA) is suing Keith Davis, owner of Elmhurst-based A.B.D. Tank & Pump Co., claiming he drained his employees’ retirement fund of $1.9 million.
According to an EBSA investigation, Davis made illegal transfers from the company’s 401(k) plan to himself and the company between 2006 and 2010.
Note: Employers that act as trustees for their company’s 401(k) cannot treat the fund like a bank account, there to tap into every time cash flow dries up. Once a plan is established, it must conform to all requirements of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act.
- Look at job duties, not signed pact, to decide employee/contractor status
- OK to consider qualifications that aren't in job description when setting pay
- Must we pay instructor for time between classes?
- Be prepared to explain why you pay some employees more
- Workers' Comp Fraud Is Legitimate Reason to Fire