The fire department—along with Atlantic Steamer Fire Company No. 1, the town of Oyster Bay and the villages of Oyster Bay Cove, Laurel Hollow, Mill Neck and Cove Neck—will pay 31 firefighters a total of $279,600.
They will also receive larger monthly pension checks.
The EEOC’s suit alleged that a policy change meant firefighters over age 62 missed out on credits for length of service, which wound up reducing their pensions. The firefighters' lawsuit said that was a violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Listen to this: Smith Barney to pay $33 million for sex bias
- How does Illinois' civil union law interact with federal discrimination laws?
- Address harassment complaint with thorough investigation—and quick action to fix problems
- Be prepared to cite skills to explain wage disparity
- Ensure that arbitration agreements are clear