The fire department—along with Atlantic Steamer Fire Company No. 1, the town of Oyster Bay and the villages of Oyster Bay Cove, Laurel Hollow, Mill Neck and Cove Neck—will pay 31 firefighters a total of $279,600.
They will also receive larger monthly pension checks.
The EEOC’s suit alleged that a policy change meant firefighters over age 62 missed out on credits for length of service, which wound up reducing their pensions. The firefighters' lawsuit said that was a violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Appeals court rules for employers on ADA
- ADA and diabetic workers; <br/> know your legal obligations, limits
- What's this I hear about a 'cooling-off' period in layoffs involving severance pay?
- Women-hating comments, even if not sexual, can equal sexual harassment
- Goodyear faces lawsuit over woman's health-related firing