The fire department—along with Atlantic Steamer Fire Company No. 1, the town of Oyster Bay and the villages of Oyster Bay Cove, Laurel Hollow, Mill Neck and Cove Neck—will pay 31 firefighters a total of $279,600.
They will also receive larger monthly pension checks.
The EEOC’s suit alleged that a policy change meant firefighters over age 62 missed out on credits for length of service, which wound up reducing their pensions. The firefighters' lawsuit said that was a violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.
- Too old and white for HRD? Don't discuss 'Dream' staff
- Investigate, separate the parties when employee alleges co-worker harassment
- Employee may be gone, but e-mails requesting ADA accommodations must live on
- In NYC, get ready for 3rd disability standard
- Create an IM policy to improve productivity, data security