Uncle Sam offers amnesty through the IRS’ new Voluntary Classification Settlement Program. It’s designed to encourage employers to voluntarily reclassify workers as employees if they aren’t legitimate independent contractors.
Your incentive to come clean: none of the usual misclassification fines and penalties. You’ll just have to pay 10% of the employment tax that would have been due on worker pay during the preceding year.
Learn more—and find out if your organization qualifies—at www.theHRSpecialist.com/VCSP.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Not so warm and fuzzy at Build-A-Bear Workshop these days
- Can we deduct pay from exempt employees who have used up PTO and FMLA leave?
- 2012 enforcement trends in employment law: hiring and safety
- Beware trend: Workers acting as own lawyers