Uncle Sam offers amnesty through the IRS’ new Voluntary Classification Settlement Program. It’s designed to encourage employers to voluntarily reclassify workers as employees if they aren’t legitimate independent contractors.
Your incentive to come clean: none of the usual misclassification fines and penalties. You’ll just have to pay 10% of the employment tax that would have been due on worker pay during the preceding year.
Learn more—and find out if your organization qualifies—at www.theHRSpecialist.com/VCSP.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- What's your responsibility under the new Georgia immigration law?
- Be wary of firing employees for aggressive union organizing
- Set up correspondence log tracking all incoming mail, faxes and e-mails
- Courts want details--even from pro se litigants