Don’t wait for employees to use the magic words—“sexual harassment”—to begin investigating a complaint. It’s up to you and yourteam to decipher an employee’s protests to determine if they could fall into that legally dangerous harassment-complaint zone.
Case in point: BVI Precision Materials, a
The receptionist complained to HR, but the company didn’t respond because the receptionist didn’t use the words “sexual harassment.”
Bottom line: A prompt, appropriate response might have spared BVI this costly settlement.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Too old and white for HRD? Don't discuss 'Dream' staff
- 37 ways to lower your health care costs
- Don't give up on accommodations too early; show a 'good faith' effort
- The power of workplace transparency