You could say social media is a big waste of time. On the other hand, you could use social media and technology as a tool to save yourself time and actually help your business. Here are five ways to get more out of it:
1. Get the news fast. Keeping up with the hottest and the latest news is a time drain. Two social media tools can help: RSS feeds and news aggregators like www.alltop.com. With RSS feeds (www.problogger.net/what-is-rss/) you can pull together various sources of information onto a single page. And www.alltop.com gives you the latest news in easy-to-read pieces without spending a lot of time on various sites.
2. Save time “searching.” One of the most frequently searched phrases online is “how to,” but when you do a simple Google search you get millions of results for any topic. Instead, home in on multimedia content. Do your “how to” search on YouTube and see what videos come up. Try going on Slideshare.net and see if anyone has already uploaded a visual presentation about the topic. Not only will your searching be easier, but what you find will be a lot simpler to understand than pages of text.
3. Twitter search. Use Twitter’s built-in search feature at search.twitter.com. You can home in on what’s happening now and use it to build your business.
4. Simplify with apps. Getting the right apps can help you to get lots of things done without ever needing to open the computer. Apps can make it a lot easier than navigating web sites.
5. Digital archiving. The Internet is great for keeping track of content and capturing ideas. Sites like Del.icio.us let you bookmark web sites to come back to later. Having a digital archive can save you time when you need to go back and find something later.
— Adapted from “5 ways social media can save you an hour a day,” Rohit Bhargava, www.openforum.com.
- NewsCrawler: www.newzcrawler.com
- FeedDemon: www.feeddemon.com
- Google Reader www.google.com/reader
- Omea Reader: omea-reader.en.softonic.com
- NewsGator Online Services: www.newsgator.com
- Awasu Personal Edition: www.awasu.com
- Blog Navigator: www.stardock.com/products/blognavigator
- Sharp Reader: www.sharpreader.net
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/28023/could-social-media-actually-save-you-time "