• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Put the ‘making work pay’ credit to work

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. I’m self-employed and my wife works part time. Do we claim the Making Work Pay credit on our 2009 return? A.S., Louisville, Ky.

A. Yes. Assuming your 2009 income was not so high that you are affected by the phaseout rule, a married joint-filing couple can claim a Making Work Pay credit of up to $800. However, the impact on your tax bill may be lower than expected if your wife already collected some of the credit in advance via lower federal income tax withholding on her 2009 wages.

Fill out new Schedule M, Making Work Pay and Government Retiree Credits, to calculate the credit.  

Tip: The Making Work Pay credit starts phasing out for unmarried filers with AGI above $75,000 and married joint-filing couples with AGI above $150,000.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/27698/put-the-making-work-pay-credit-to-work "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment