Employees at the pet products company PetSafe in Knoxville, Tenn., really like their . In fact, they created it.
The program awards points to employees for taking small steps toward better health, such as going to the doctor or the gym, donating blood, getting a blood pressure check, participating in a walkathon and even getting a free flu shot from the company. At the end of each quarter, employees can redeem points for gift certificates, money or a day off.
Employees also organized a “biggest loser” weight-loss contest last year, and this year gave prizes to those who kept their weight off.
Laurie Macnair, director of talent development, says the initiative has led to more engaged, harder-working employees. Plus, the company’s health care costs per claim has decreased over the past three years, keeping medical costs fairly flat.
Contact: Laurie Macnair, director of talent development, at lmacnair@ petsafe.net.
- Small business owners: Do you offer health benefits?
- Taming the shrews: How to turn around troublesome people
- Don't think a successful workers' comp case lets you off the ADA accommodation hook
- Dealing with a fired employee who signed an arbitration agreement
- 8 ways to ensure the effectiveness of your flex plan