Employees at the pet products company PetSafe in Knoxville, Tenn., really like their . In fact, they created it.
The program awards points to employees for taking small steps toward better health, such as going to the doctor or the gym, donating blood, getting a blood pressure check, participating in a walkathon and even getting a free flu shot from the company. At the end of each quarter, employees can redeem points for gift certificates, money or a day off.
Employees also organized a “biggest loser” weight-loss contest last year, and this year gave prizes to those who kept their weight off.
Laurie Macnair, director of talent development, says the initiative has led to more engaged, harder-working employees. Plus, the company’s health care costs per claim has decreased over the past three years, keeping medical costs fairly flat.
Contact: Laurie Macnair, director of talent development, at lmacnair@ petsafe.net.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Planning for productivity: What time are workers at their best?
- Put your slackers to shame with this amazing example of dedication
- 8 flex trends that will affect your company
- Can 'Kiddie Wellness' Programs Cut Your Organization's Health Costs?