1. Think like a leader. Unlike other employees, you anticipate what’s needed, discuss and plan it with your boss, and will find yourself assigned to get it done.
2. Lighten your boss’s load. Work out your assignments in a way that will take some of the burden off. If you prove you can do the same quality of work as a higher-up, you’ll be in position for a promotion.
3. Ask for forgiveness later. Once you’ve got your sea legs, there’s no point in constantly asking for permission. Master your craft to the degree that you know what’s best, then act on that knowledge. If you mess up occasionally, apologize.
4. Make things better. Don’t just deliver projects complete and on time. Improve processes.
5. Get a life. The honchos need to view you as a peer, not a servant.
— Adapted from “5 Tips To Get Promoted,” Drew Tarvin, Brazen Careerist.
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette No matches