• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Uncle Sam wants tax on savings bond interest

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. I found some HH Savings Bonds from years ago. Do I still owe income tax if I cash them in now? S.M., Farmingdale, N.Y.

Yes. In many cases, taxpayers converted old Series E Bonds into HH Bonds to avoid taxation on bonds that had fully matured. But you have to pay tax on the built-up interest when you cash in the HH Bonds.

Uncle Sam stopped issuing HH Bonds on Sept. 1, 2004. You can find out the current value of the HH Bonds by visiting www.publicdebt.treas.gov.

Tip: Reduce the tax liability by cashing in the HH Bonds in different years. For example, you might redeem some in 2009, some in 2010 and the balance in 2011.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/27306/uncle-sam-wants-tax-on-savings-bond-interest "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment