• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

5 ‘tweaks’ to ask your shipper

by on
in Office Management

Scope out your shipping-fee statement for potential cost savings. Five questions to ask your carrier:

1. Have you added any surcharges? Carriers may tack on charges for going through international security or for handling an undeliverable package. All of them are negotiable.

2. Can I have my account history? If you’ve worked with the same carrier for a while, ask for a historical report, and then use that information to negotiate. If 95% of your packages are going to Boston, for example, you might ask your carrier to cut the fees it charges for the remaining 5% to go to rural Wyoming.

3. What would make my freight more attractive?
Carriers can offer discounts to those who ship cargo in the most profitable way. So ask how you can tweak your shipping to get a price break. For example, you might be able to bundle multiple packages going to a single destination.

4. What regions and types of freight do you specialize in?
Some carriers specialize in shipping hazardous materials, perishable freight, pharmaceuticals and even cosmetics. Also ask: What companies do you ship to? You might be able to piggyback your delivery with a truck already headed for that destination.

5. Can you give me a trial run?
Most carriers will do trial runs during off-peak months, but few will take on new business during peak shipping season.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/26666/5-tweaks-to-ask-your-shipper "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment