Mark your calendar: Oct. 16 is National Boss Day. Here’s an alternative to bringing a card or cookies:
Honor the day by making a silent commitment to strengthening your relationship with your boss. The Pyramid Resource Group Inc. in Cary, N.C., came up with five ways to do it:
1. Understand that your job is to help the boss win. If you’re not sure what exactly constitutes success for your boss, ask.
2. Listen for your boss’s best intentions when he speaks. Ask questions to better understand what it is he needs.
3. Tell the truth, as you see it, in a neutral way. Your boss wants to know what you think.
4. Schedule a time to meet regularly if the boss doesn’t schedule it for you. Be brief in this meeting. If you schedule 30 minutes, take 15 and give time back.
5. Stop gossiping, especially about your boss. Learn to turn away from the negative discussions.
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette No matches