Immigrant advocacy groups banded together recently to urge Gov.-elect Eliot Spitzer to encourage the state’s Labor Department to pursue labor violations against whole industries in addition to individual companies.
The groups noted that minimum wage and overtime violations are prevalent in low-wage industries such as restaurants, landscaping, agriculture and apparel. The group is requesting increased penalties, faster investigations, more bilingual investigators and criminal penalties for companies that fire workers who file complaints.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- DOL updates FLSA regs to reflect current law
- Does workers' comp cover injuries an employee suffers at a work-related social event?
- Are we allowed to require employees to receive their wages through paycards?
- Indiana finance firm opens on-site health clinic