The Pennsylvania Inspection of Employment Records Law guarantees employees the right to view their personnel files at work.
The law applies to all Pennsylvania employers and covers current employees, those on leave and those who are laid off with recall rights. The law doesn’t cover former employees or applicants, nor does it require employers to maintain personnel files.
Inspection rights. Under the law, any employee (or employee’s designated agent) has the right to inspect his or her personnel file. Employers must make those files available at reasonable times at the place where the files are normally stored.
You can request that employees give you advance notice and require them to view the files during normal business hours. You can also insist that employees view the file on their own time, not company time.
Employees can view the file and take notes, but you don’t have to let them take the file away to copy it...(register to read more)
- 5 small steps managers can take to reduce absenteeism
- Designing a Progressive Discipline Policy
- Another reason to enforce violence policy: To avoid workers' compensation liability
- Poor performance terminations and COBRA: Can we deny the new COBRA subsidy?
- Sudden discipline problems? Check for retaliation by boss