The New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development intends to enact new prevailing-wage rules for contractor employees or subcontractors who work on building services projects at properties owned or leased by the state.
Building services include cleaning and maintenance, such as general janitorial work.
In addition to requiring paying the prevailing wage, the regulations cover record retention and inspection rights. The regulations will also set penalties, including fines and prison terms for employers that violate the rules.
For more on the proposed regulations, go to www.nj.gov/labor/leg/forms/ njac12_64.pdf.
- Federal court: Government employees can't go it alone when making due process claims
- Completing the I-9: Top 10 do's and don'ts
- Absent-minded employees: 4 steps to get absenteeism under control
- Must we turn over personnel file to former employee's attorney?
- If you discover wrongdoing after the fact, you can use it in court to justify termination