Want a more creative office environment? Then celebrate the diversity and differences among co-workers. Try bringing people together socially during cultural heritage months and holidays.
The Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo, for example, is one such opportunity. Organize a late-afternoon gathering around the event, and you encourage co-workers to consider the contributions of Mexican-Americans. And who wouldn’t want to attend a breakroom fiesta with authentic Mexican-American foods like quesadillas, black beans and salsa cruda?
Look ahead to other cultural heritage months coming up:
• Jewish-American Heritage Month
• Cinco de Mayo. Mexicans and Mexican-Americans celebrate the triumph of Mexican forces over the French army in Mexico in 1862. Tip: Find a Cinco de Mayo party invitation at Microsoft Office Online (under “Templates”).
• Caribbean American Heritage Month
• Gay, Lesbian, Bi-Sexual, Transgender Pride Month
• Black Music Month
• Juneteenth commemorates June 19, 1865, when Union soldiers rode through Texas announcing that Lincoln had issued the Emancipation Proclamation.
• Scottish-American Heritage Month
• National Hispanic Heritage Month
September 15 – October 15:
• German-American Heritage Month (encompasses Oktoberfest)
• National Italian Heritage Month
• Polish-American Heritage Month
• Native American Indian Heritage Month.