Typos can slip past the best of us. That’s why newspapers hire copy editors to proofread. And even then, newspapers still print mistakes.
Assuming you don’t have an eagle-eyed co-worker on hand to review your work, try these proofreading tips:
1. Read your work from end to beginning. This tactic keeps your brain from scanning over the words and mentally filling in what it believes should be there.
2. Proofread a printed version. When it’s an important letter or e-mail, don’t skip this key step. You’ll see things on paper that you might overlook on screen. Try enlarging the document to 130% of its normal size (11” x 17”) to make errors jump out at you.
3. Read it out loud. It increases the odds that you’ll catch a missing “the” or misplaced comma.
4. Give yourself some time. If you can, let the document sit for a day, then go back to it.
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette No matches