A group of black and Hispanic police officers have accused the NYPD of harassment for noting in their personnel files that they were complainants in a discrimination suit. The notations could damage their careers, their attorney says.
The lesson: Past litigation records don’t relate to , so keep them separate from personnel files. Only information related to job performance, , compensation and any disciplinary action taken belongs in personnel files.
- Prepare to make clear-cut case before firing public employee working on contract
- Quitting time? Performance improvement plan not enough to justify discrimination lawsuit
- Fire at will: The last straw doesn't have to be the same for all employees
- Career audits: Does the job work for you?
- Give documents to terminated employees?