Chambersburg-based Alex C. Fergusson Inc. (AFCO) must pay $50,000 to a salesman after forcing him into retirement at age 65.
When the man’s 65th birthday approached, AFCO sent him a letter asking him to choose between full retirement and semi-retirement.
As part of the settlement, AFCO must notify all employees that it doesn’t have a mandatory retirement policy.
Final note: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits mandatory retirement based on age except in some limited circumstances, such as for airline pilots. Find more details about complying with the law at www.eeoc.gov/types/age.html.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 4 employment law lessons from the courts
- Good news: Bullying and verbal abuse probably are not emotional distress
- Don't be so quick to say 'no'--seriously consider every ADA accommodation request
- Workplace genetic testing raises discrimination concerns