Chambersburg-based Alex C. Fergusson Inc. (AFCO) must pay $50,000 to a salesman after forcing him into retirement at age 65.
When the man’s 65th birthday approached, AFCO sent him a letter asking him to choose between full retirement and semi-retirement.
As part of the settlement, AFCO must notify all employees that it doesn’t have a mandatory retirement policy.
Final note: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits mandatory retirement based on age except in some limited circumstances, such as for airline pilots. Find more details about complying with the law at www.eeoc.gov/types/age.html.
- Personnel records: What to store, when to shred ... and 7 laws you must comply with
- Youth-Based Discrimination Claims
- Good records win lawsuits: When disciplining, be as specific as possible
- Received just one application for the job? You're not required to hire that person
- OK to apply different discipline standards to new employees