Chambersburg-based Alex C. Fergusson Inc. (AFCO) must pay $50,000 to a salesman after forcing him into retirement at age 65.
When the man’s 65th birthday approached, AFCO sent him a letter asking him to choose between full retirement and semi-retirement.
As part of the settlement, AFCO must notify all employees that it doesn’t have a mandatory retirement policy.
Final note: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits mandatory retirement based on age except in some limited circumstances, such as for airline pilots. Find more details about complying with the law at www.eeoc.gov/types/age.html.
- Demanding coffee may be gauche, but it's not harassment
- Telling lecherous manager to stop harassing is protected activity all by itself
- EEOC bites Cobra for supervisor sexual harassment
- SAD but true: A window may be ADA accommodation
- Documentation is key to winning bias lawsuits--along with clear policies, thorough investigations