Chambersburg-based Alex C. Fergusson Inc. (AFCO) must pay $50,000 to a salesman after forcing him into retirement at age 65.
When the man’s 65th birthday approached, AFCO sent him a letter asking him to choose between full retirement and semi-retirement.
As part of the settlement, AFCO must notify all employees that it doesn’t have a mandatory retirement policy.
Final note: The Age Discrimination in Employment Act prohibits mandatory retirement based on age except in some limited circumstances, such as for airline pilots. Find more details about complying with the law at www.eeoc.gov/types/age.html.
- Muslim scarf ban costs $50K for Philadelphia security firm
- No federal gay-Bias law, but take note of state, Local rules
- Investigation points back to employee who complained? It's OK to punish her, too
- Whether layoff affects one or 100, use solid business reasons to justify job cuts
- EEOC: Houston Fire Department hostile to female firefighter