But you also want someone who leads with compassion and loyalty to someone other than himself. You don’t want a narcissist succeeding you.
Run your protégé through this gantlet to see how he scores on the narcissist scale. Assign 2 points for each “Yes”; 1 for each “Somewhat” or “Maybe”; 0 for each “No.”
- Is he proud of his ability to deceive people?
- Is he a master manipulator?
- Does he cook up dishonest schemes?
- When he harms others, does he lack remorse or guilt?
- Does he poke fun at emotional people?
- Does he fire people without care?
- Does he steadfastly fail to accept responsibility for his actions? If your heir apparent scores 1 to 4 points, raise an eyebrow; 5 to 7, be wary; 8 to 12, be afraid; 13 to 14, be very afraid.