So you want to be in show biz? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

So you want to be in show biz?

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q. I’m thinking about investing in some show business memorabilia. If I later sell this property, will my gain be taxed at the rate for long-term capital gain? S.J., Los Angeles

A. It depends. If you sell the items less than a year after acquiring them, you’ll be subject to tax at your ordinary-income rate, which could be as high as 35 percent. If you sell the items after holding on to them for more than a year, you’re eligible for taxadvantaged long-term capital gains rates. But, instead of the usual 15 percent capital gains rate, the maximum tax rate on collectibles is 28 percent. Note: For these purposes, collectibles include works of art; antiques; precious metals or gems; coins or stamps; alcoholic beverages and other tangible personal property that the IRS has specified.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: