That dedicated employee working through her lunch period, even though she’s clocked out, could be a Florida employer’s biggest future liability.
Why? Because several South and Central Florida law firms have built lucrative practices on a solid foundation of .
Florida lawyers have a history of aggressive employment-law entrepreneurship. In the late 90s, several firms pursued ADA lawsuits by identifying retail stores with poor handicapped accessibility and sending in wheelchair-bound customers who later filed complaints. In one case, an attorney sent in his own uncle.
250 percent jump in OT lawsuits
The current litigation wave exploits employer confusion about . A couple of years ago, the U.S. Labor Department made important changes to the federal Fair Labor Standards Act ( ) .
It’s taken a few years for employers to catch on to the nuances of the new FLSA world...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Safeguard against failure-to-hire suits by explaining how hiring process works
- Labor Department Offering Low-Cost Training Solutions
- IRS chases after 'National Treasure' star to pay up
- Can we ask applicants to leave voice-mail message?