Q. I’ve heard that not all industries are covered by the . Are trucking companies exempt? If so, we have several employees out on workers’ compensation and . Can we fire them? — T.Z., New York
A. You’ve got your FMLAs and FLSAs confused. The Fair Labor Standards Act (), the federal wage-and-hour law, does allow certain individual exemptions for over-the-road truckers. However, no similar across-the-board industry exemption applies under the FMLA or workers’ compensation laws for businesses engaged in trucking.
We strongly suggest that you speak with an experienced employment lawyer before your next move. (For more on www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla.) , go to
- Prepare for more--and more expensive--pay litigation
- Reporting suspected harassment doesn't always equal 'Protected activity'
- DOL issues new FMLA rules; time to review your policies
- When's a handbook not a handbook? When everyone ignores it
- What are our obligations to provide notice that a location is closing?