Q. I’ve heard that not all industries are covered by the . Are trucking companies exempt? If so, we have several employees out on workers’ compensation and . Can we fire them? — T.Z., New York
A. You’ve got your FMLAs and FLSAs confused. The Fair Labor Standards Act (), the federal wage-and-hour law, does allow certain individual exemptions for over-the-road truckers. However, no similar across-the-board industry exemption applies under the FMLA or workers’ compensation laws for businesses engaged in trucking.
We strongly suggest that you speak with an experienced employment lawyer before your next move. (For more on www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla.) , go to
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Don't let employees bully you into dictating their employment terms
- Time to care for adult children limited to ADA disabilities
- Congress probes bias at Air Marshal's Cincy office
- New N.Y. 'wage theft' law imposes stiff penalties on employers