Q. I’ve heard that not all industries are covered by the . Are trucking companies exempt? If so, we have several employees out on workers’ compensation and . Can we fire them? — T.Z., New York
A. You’ve got your FMLAs and FLSAs confused. The Fair Labor Standards Act (), the federal wage-and-hour law, does allow certain individual exemptions for over-the-road truckers. However, no similar across-the-board industry exemption applies under the FMLA or workers’ compensation laws for businesses engaged in trucking.
We strongly suggest that you speak with an experienced employment lawyer before your next move. (For more on www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla.) , go to
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Retaliation nation: Reacting to complaint? Zip it!
- Is a doctor's note enough to prevent us from firing employee who broke call-in rule?
- Can we use a lottery to set our vacation schedule?
- Texas court says cutting overtime hours may be retaliation