Q. I’ve heard that not all industries are covered by the . Are trucking companies exempt? If so, we have several employees out on workers’ compensation and . Can we fire them? — T.Z., New York
A. You’ve got your FMLAs and FLSAs confused. The Fair Labor Standards Act (), the federal wage-and-hour law, does allow certain individual exemptions for over-the-road truckers. However, no similar across-the-board industry exemption applies under the FMLA or workers’ compensation laws for businesses engaged in trucking.
We strongly suggest that you speak with an experienced employment lawyer before your next move. (For more on www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla.) , go to
- Must we let workers on FMLA leave use sick leave?
- Warn supervisors: Wage mistakes could mean personal liability--and they would have to pay!
- Dress codes: Strip away discrimination, 'uniform' dangers
- Expanded ADA disabilities coverage may affect drug testing
- Man claims sexy co-Worker caused anxiety and stress