Buying gifts for people you don’t know well takes a bit more thought. Use these do’s and don’ts when choosing gifts:
Your boss, or your boss’s boss:
• Do consider making a charitable donation in his or her name or having a tree planted in the boss’s honor.
• Don’t give gift certificates with dollar amounts on them. It is far better to give an inexpensive gift that is thoughtful and original.
Clients on the boss’s list:
• Do look into custom-printed fortune cookies, M&M’s in company colors, a gift certificate to the local coffee house (with a note that says, “Take a coffee break on me”), or a business card case with your boss’s card tucked inside.
• Don’t give a paperweight, since the client probably has 10 of them tucked away in a desk drawer.
• Do give something useful, regardless of your budget. Examples: a $5 certificate to the local coffee house or juice bar, or a set of clever sticky notepads.
• Don’t buy gifts for everyone. Start with people you have a strong connection to, who have helped you through a difficult project or who gave you a gift last year. Keep a few gender-neutral gifts (such as business card holders) on hand for “oops” moments.
Whatever you choose to give, remember to keep spirits up through small gestures, such as anonymously putting candy canes in everyone’s inbox, or offering to stay late so a co-worker can leave early to finish shopping.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/23863/stumped-over-workplace-gifts "