The following sample policies were excerpted from The Book of Company Policies, published by HR Specialist, © 2007. Edit for your organization's purposes.
State law governs whether employers are required to provide employee access to their own personnel files. Check with your attorney to find out the laws in your state.
Various state laws:
- Limit how often employees may access their files
- Require employees to request access in advance
- Place limits on where and when employees may view their files
- Allow someone from HR or another employer representative to be present while employees review their files
- Limit the kind of information employees may see
The following sample policies cover many of those restrictions..
Sample Policy 1:
“XYZ maintains a personnel file on each employee. The personnel file includes such information as the employee’s job application, résum...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- What should we include in a policy banning cell phone cameras?
- PTO, leave sharing give employees flexibility
- Settlement leaves weight loss firm $20 million lighter
- Beware trend: Workers acting as own lawyers