Patrick attributes much of her success to self-confidence, which she describes as a muscle that has to be built up.
“Confidence is a big word in my life,” says Patrick. “I know without a doubt that I am strong enough to get through anything life throws my way.”
Here are some of Patrick’s thoughts about confidence:
- It comes from proving yourself over and over.
- It’s walking up to someone, shaking hands hard (one of Patrick’s signature moves), looking that person in the eye and talking face to face.
- The intense eye contact is important: It lets people know you’re present and care about what they’re saying.
- It’s asking questions other people wouldn’t dare to ask.
- It’s putting on your steely “race face,” in Patrick’s words.
- Confidence comes when other people worry that you’re in the game.