The following sample policy was excerpted from The Book of Company Policies, published by HR Specialist, © 2007. Edit for your organization's purposes.
“Up to four days of paid leave may be taken in the event of the death of a spouse, offspring, sibling, parent, spouse’s parent, grandparent, son- or daughter-in-law or life partner of the employee. Exceptions may be granted by the owner under extenuating circumstances when requested by the employee.”
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Include federal jury service protection in your employee handbook and policies
- Crack down on association discrimination—especially if there are threats of violence
- Don't shrug off complaints of female-on-male harassment
- To pay or not to pay? 4 tips for staying in FLSA compliance