Some may fear that you’ll shoot the messenger. Others worry that reporting a problem suggests that they’re not able to handle it themselves.
Detect unreported problems by staying alert for these signs:
- A sudden decline in information flow from one person or team.
- Visibly deteriorating morale.
- Ambiguous oral messages that require digging from you.
- Nonverbal signals, such as defeatist body language or a growing number of people working behind closed doors.
- Outside signals, such as customer complaints or slowing orders.