The following sample policies were excerpted from The Book of Company Policies, published by HR Specialist, © 2007. Edit for your organization's purposes.
Sample Policy 1:
“We are a nonsmoking shop and office. If anyone needs to have a cigarette, they may go out to the street as long as it doesn’t interfere with work.”
Sample Policy 2:
“Employees may smoke only on breaks and only in designated smoking areas. No smoking is allowed at workstations or in restrooms.”
Sample Policy 3:
“XYZ is committed to enforcing the provisions of applicable local, state and federal law. Accordingly, XYZ’s policy on smoking is as follows:
- Smoking is prohibited in hallways, restrooms, the reception area, work cubicles in rooms or areas containing photocopying or other office equipment used in common by employees and in XYZ vehicles occupied by more than one person, unless all occupants of ...(register to read more)
- When serial harasser strikes, you can't just move victims
- 5 tactics to bust America's No. 1 job killer—Stress
- Which disability questions are legal? Check new EEOC rules
- Do Your 'Team Leaders' Have the Same Harassment-Reporting Duties as Your Supervisors?
- HR law 101: Always follow up with employee who has filed internal discrimination complaint