- Learn what each person needs. What works for one person won’t work for somebody else. It’s highly personal.
- Employees must earn it. Otherwise, it’s meaningless.
- Dispense encouragement often. Regular positive feedback should become a habit. Don’t make employees compete for it. You should hand out enough to go around.
- Make it immediate. Or people assume you want something else.
- Money doesn’t serve as the best reinforcer. High expectations should be part of the job, and praise reinforces the importance of the work and your employee’s contribution. Positive reinforcement solidifies working relationships. Letting people know you like their work implies that you like them, too.
Get weekly updates on breaking news and business advice to help you advance your career! The week's top stories and resources will be sent right to your inbox. Choose the topics you're interested in:
We value your Privacy.