Here’s a checklist for executives trying to nurture great leaders:
- Have you set up incentives for employees to cross departments, functions and territories? Would you consider sending them to break ground in new cities where they, as individuals, would like to work?
- Do you consider candidates throughout your organization when you’re trying to fill key slots?
- Have you brought together bright minds from across departments to discuss the natural conflicts they face? Can you identify which new leaders are most eager to “get over it” so they can serve customers?
- Do you reward leaders who send their own front-line people outside their domains and develop talent from other units?
- Will strong individual “stars,” who don’t play nicely with others, still make it to the top?