Dale and Christina Roberts, husband and wife, stole $386,000 from their employer, CheckFree Corporation, a Norcross electronic financial-services provider. Dale Roberts handled network operations and contract for CheckFree.
Dale and Christina set up Harbor Consulting Group (a sole proprietorship under her name) and funneled all of CheckFree’s independent-contractor payments through Harbor. They doubled all the contractors’ fees and pocketed the difference. They paid neighbors nominal fees to act as Harbor representatives or bogus contractors.
Warning signs? Harbor’s address was a leased commercial mailbox. Its phone line was the cell phone of a neighbor acting as “president.” Protect yourself by annually checking your vendors’ addresses, phone numbers and payments.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Recruiting & Retaining: 6 Real-Life Examples of Successful Programs
- Evolving rules of politeness
- Whistle-blowers gain courage thanks to Time honor
- When labor, immigration laws clash, NLRB decides