Dale and Christina Roberts, husband and wife, stole $386,000 from their employer, CheckFree Corporation, a Norcross electronic financial-services provider. Dale Roberts handled network operations and contract for CheckFree.
Dale and Christina set up Harbor Consulting Group (a sole proprietorship under her name) and funneled all of CheckFree’s independent-contractor payments through Harbor. They doubled all the contractors’ fees and pocketed the difference. They paid neighbors nominal fees to act as Harbor representatives or bogus contractors.
Warning signs? Harbor’s address was a leased commercial mailbox. Its phone line was the cell phone of a neighbor acting as “president.” Protect yourself by annually checking your vendors’ addresses, phone numbers and payments.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- 'Tone-deaf' suitor or true harasser: How to tell
- 401(k) plans face year of rebuilding
- Refusing to follow orders doesn't always equal insubordination
- Document why new talent got higher pay than existing staff