- Set the tone by asking, “Would you do me a favor?”
- Choose something that is doable.
- Ask for something that you genuinely need.
- Make it a simple task.
- Offer a well-thought-out description of just what the person needs to do.
- Don’t give a compliment at the same time you ask for a favor.
- Say thank you, and write a thank-you note after the favor is done.
- Tell at least one other person about the favor, so that your gratefulness will get back to the favor-giver.
Get weekly updates on breaking news and business advice to help you advance your career! The week's top stories and resources will be sent right to your inbox. Choose the topics you're interested in:
We value your Privacy.