Q. Can we require employees to be on our health insurance plan? We’re a small business and to meet the requirements for group insurance, we require all employees that aren’t covered by a spouse’s policy to enroll. We pay 75 percent of the premium. — G.P., Oklahoma
A. While it seems more than a bit maternal to us, the answer is “yes.” You can pay your employees with any combination of wages, bonuses and , provided that they earn the equivalent of no less than the minimum wage. Also, you should not deduct from an employee’s pay for health insurance premiums unless the employee has executed a document authorizing you to do so.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Unemployment: Workplace threats are grounds to quit
- Tough times = stressed-out staff: 10 tips to ease their pain
- Don't expect to get away with paying undocumented workers less than law requires
- How to conduct a 30-minute employee handbook audit