• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Can 72-year-old contribute to an IRA?

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: I am 72 and work part time. I earned $15,000 from my part-time job last year. Can I contribute to an IRA for the 2003 tax year? D.W., Jacksonville, Fla.

A: You can contribute to a Roth IRA because you'll face no age restriction or mandatory distribution rule for Roths. But you can no longer contribute to a traditional IRA beginning with the year you turn age 70 1/2. Note that you must begin taking minimum distributions from an existing IRA by no later than April 1 of the year after the year you turn 70 1/2. Tip: With either a traditional or a Roth IRA, your annual contribution can't exceed the lesser of your earned income or $3,500 for taxpayers age 50 or older ($3,000 for other taxpayers).

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/22825/can-72-year-old-contribute-to-an-ira "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment