• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

How to trim tax on foreign dividends

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: I'm investing in dividend-paying stocks in a foreign country. Because of withholding by the government, the dividends are substantially reduced. Do I have to pay tax on the full amount of the dividends? W.L., Braintree, Mass.

A: Typically, you must report all dividend income received from foreign corporations. But you can offset your tax liability with a foreign tax credit or a miscellaneous itemized deduction. Claim the credit by filing Form 1116 or take a miscellaneous deduction on Schedule A of Form 1040. It's usually preferable to claim the credit. Note: Because of new lower tax rates on dividends, you must make certain adjustments when reporting dividend income from foreign corporations. The rules will be similar to reflecting the tax differential on capital gains.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/22819/how-to-trim-tax-on-foreign-dividends "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment