• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Don’t delay on amended return

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: A friend of mine filed his 1996 return as a single status. He now realizes that he could have filed as a head of household status, making him eligible for the EITC. Can he amend his return? O.D., New York, N.Y.

A: No. The rules in this area are strict. A claim for a credit or refund must be filed within three years of the date the original return was filed or two years from the date the tax was paid, whichever is later. The IRS accepts a few exceptions, but they don't apply to a switch in filing status.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/22767/dont-delay-on-amended-return "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment