• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

How to depreciate ‘converted’ car

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: I just started a new business where I work from home. For business travel, I'm using a car I bought in 2001 for $32,000. Can I deduct depreciation based on the original cost? D.J., Spring Valley, N.Y.

A: No. If you convert a personal car into a car used for business travel, your basis for depreciation is the lower of these two numbers: your adjusted basis or the fair market value at the time of conversion. Since a car's value usually declines over time, your deduction will be based on its fair market value.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/22745/how-to-depreciate-converted-car "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment