• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Tap unique tax break on company stock

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: When my friend retired several years ago, she did not roll over her company stock into an IRA. (She had bought some of the stock and her employer gave her some.) If she sells the stock, will it be taxed as capital gain? F.G., King of Prussia, Pa.

A: Partially. Assuming your friend is holding the company stock in a qualified retirement plan, she's eligible for a unique tax break: If a retirement plan distribution is paid in company stock, the retiree is taxed at ordinary income rates only on the original cost of the stock. Any appreciation in the stock's value is untaxed. When she sells the stock, the difference between the sales price and the original cost is low-taxed capital gain. Note: The 2003 tax act lowered the maximum federal tax rate on long-term capital to 15 percent.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/22724/tap-unique-tax-break-on-company-stock "

Related Articles...

    No matches

Leave a Comment