Sell stock to capture valuable losses — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Sell stock to capture valuable losses

Get PDF file

by on
in Small Business Tax

Q: In 2002, I bought stock in a company that just recently merged with another company. I bought the shares at $15; now they're worth only $12 and change. Can I deduct a loss for 2005? L.A.R., San Diego

A: Yes, but you have to sell the shares to realize the loss. If the stock is worth, say, $12 when you sell it and you own 1,000 shares, your loss is $3,000 (1,000 shares times $3). That happens to be the annual amount of losses you can use to offset highly taxed ordinary income. So, if you have no other gains or losses this year, your $3,000 loss can provide the maximum tax benefit for 2005.

Related Articles...

Leave a Comment

Previous post:

Next post: