Don’t wait for employees to exit before you get their input on what your organization is doing right or wrong, says Greg Smith, author of the book 401 Proven Ways to Retain Your Best Employees.
Conduct periodic “stay” interviews using questions such as:
- What aspect of your job do you enjoy the most/least?
- Why do you stay with the organization?
- What frustrates you about your job?
- What can we do to make this a better place to work?
- When do you feel most appreciated for what you do?
- What are you overdue for?
- What keeps you from doing the best you can?