The following sample policies were excerpted from The Book of Company Policies, published by HR Specialist, © 2007. Edit for your organization's purposes.
Sample Policy 1:
“An employee may hold a job with another organization as long as he or she satisfactorily performs his or her job responsibilities with XYZ. All employees will be judged by the same performance standards and will be subject to XYZ’s scheduling demands, regardless of any existing outside work requirements.
“If the Company determines that an employee’s outside work interferes with performance or the ability to meet the requirements of XYZ as they are modified from time to time, the employee may be asked to terminate the outside employment if he or she wishes to remain with XYZ.
“Outside employment will present a conflict of interest if it has an adverse impact on XYZ.”
Sample Policy 2:
- Enforce use-it-or-lose-it vacation with a clear policy
- Act fast to remedy slurs, threats, other outrageous behavior
- New administration doesn't signal open season for retaliation complaints
- Filing suit to protect trade secrets won't kill your arbitration rights
- Not everyone wears a halo: Courts don't expect perfect work environment