You severely compromise your ability to manage your business if you don’t clearly communicate your personnel policies to your work force.
Consider this case: A court ordered a company to reinstate an employee who’d been fired for using his office computer for personal use after business hours. The court found that the employer had not specifically forbidden the use of company property for personal purposes.
This example illustrates how easily you can get into trouble if your workers don’t know about or fail to understand your rules. That’s whyare extremely valuable business tools. But if you’re not careful, your handbook could land you in court. In particular, more and more employees are suing for wrongful discharge, pointing to a handbook they claim guaranteed them employment indefinitely.
Your handbook serves many important roles. It documents your policies, orients new hires, encourages employees to s...(register to read more)
- When restoring soldiers to equivalent jobs, include any missed raises, promotions
- Job descriptions are works in progress ... Stay on top of them!
- Separation agreements: Use arbitration agreements instead of claims releases?
- Don't leave victim in doubt about response to harassment
- Don't nickel and dime ADA accommodations: Everything can't be essential to the job