1. By Jan. 31, 2012 employers must display a new workplace poster notifying employees of their right to:
a. Take “reasonable” rest and meal breaks
b. Form or join a union
c. Be paid at 1.5 times the minimum wage if they work in “dangerous” jobs
2. What percentage of U.S. employees mostly worked by telecommuting from their homes last year?
3. Which of the following issues do HR professionals say cause the biggest problems in their organizations?
b. Interpersonal conflicts
c. Wage-and-hour issues
4. A blanket “no beard” policy has been successfully challenged as a violation of which federal discrimination laws?
a. Religious discrimination
b. Race discrimination
c. Both a and b
5. Afor the San Francisco Giants was arrested for embezzling $1.5 million from the baseball team. She originally claimed her “big bonus” was awarded for:
a. Cutting costs on operational overhead
b. Identifying savings in the employee health plan
c. Her “outstanding contributions” to helping the team win the World Series
Sources: 1. NLRB.gov; 2. Telework Research Network survey; 3. theHRSpecialist.com poll; 4. EEOC; 5. SFGiants.com.
Answers: 1. b 2.a 3. b 4. c 5. c
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 key tips for recession-proofing your HR department
- Create an IM policy to improve productivity, data security
- Use proactive process to stop little digs from adding up to hostile environment
- Assessing witness credibility in workplace investigations