White Paper published by The HR Specialist, copyright 2009
TheAct ( ), which became law in 1993, provides qualified employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for the birth or adoption of a child, for caring for a spouse or an immediate family member with a serious health condition or for convalescence after an employee's own serious health condition.
Some states have their ownlaws. In such cases, you must abide by the regulation that provides the most generous benefit to the employee.
Which companies must comply?
Any company with 50 or more employees working within a 75-mile radius of the "work site" must comply. The 75-mile radius provision could exempt some larger companies that operate from a small headquarters but do business in many other locations outside the 75-mile limit.
Employee eligibility for FMLA
To be eligible for leave under the FM...(register to read more)
- Rx for drug testing: A firm policy, legal knowledge
- Wal-Mart to pay $12,000 to veteran it didn't hire back
- Can we replace a worker who is out on pregnancy disability leave?
- Mere 'association' with a disabled person doesn't trigger need to accommodate
- Documenting HR's responsiveness cuts harassment liability