White Paper published by The HR Specialist, copyright 2009
TheAct ( ), which became law in 1993, provides qualified employees with up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave per year for the birth or adoption of a child, for caring for a spouse or an immediate family member with a serious health condition or for convalescence after an employee's own serious health condition.
Some states have their ownlaws. In such cases, you must abide by the regulation that provides the most generous benefit to the employee.
Which companies must comply?
Any company with 50 or more employees working within a 75-mile radius of the "work site" must comply. The 75-mile radius provision could exempt some larger companies that operate from a small headquarters but do business in many other locations outside the 75-mile limit.
Employee eligibility for FMLA
To be eligible for leave under the FM...(register to read more)
- Is an employee's refusal to cooperate with an internal investigation a firing offense?
- Ensure computer policy is clear: No using tech for nonbusiness purposes
- Blessed are the peacemakers: Firm provides biblical ADR
- Moms and dads putting families first
- Warn supervisors: You may be individually liable under the FMLA