Today’s mobile workforce is changing the concept of where work is done. Laptops, smartphones, tablets and Wi-Fi have changed all that. Social contact manager Gist analyzed some of the data on the mobile workforce and offers a glimpse of how today’s workforce is changing as people choose where, when and how they work:
- Mobile productivity: 3 out of 5 workers say they don’t need to be in the office anymore to be productive.
- Mobile working worldwide: 32% of employees globally now rely on more than one mobile device during the typical workday.
- Where mobile workers feel most productive: 46% in the office; 38% working from home.
- Enabling mobile productivity: 87% of IT managers say companies provide workers mobile phones and cover costs.
- Rise of mobile email: 76% of smartphone users access email on these devices while 30% of all mobile users access email on their phones.
- Tablet boom: A whopping 65% of mobile workers use a tablet, with 27% of mobile workers using a tablet for work. What do they spend their time doing? 35% send and receive email; 35% surf the Internet; 12% read publications and 7% watch video content.
- How mobile workers use smartphones: social media for work, information , web conferencing, note-taking and office suites.